D/s contracts are a way of defining the nature and limits of a relationship and are not intended to carry legal force.
In general, a contract is a binding agreement (not necessarily legally) between two consenting adults who have negotiated between themselves a list of wants or desires in their lifestyle as it pertains to BDSM. This is usually done between a Master and their slave and is often compared to a vanilla prenuptual agreement.
It is important to point out that having a contract does not create the legal assumption of consent, but is used as a tool between two consenting individuals agreeing to be bound personally via this contract. You should always investigate whether your local government accepts these types of contracts or not.
Note that the kind of contract discussed here has no legal standing: they are only an agreement between consenting people.
Slave contracts are rarely legally binding and in some countries, the possession of a Master/slave contract may be illegal. For this reason, it is advisable to either start such a contract with a statement that no legal intent is implied or intended, or to have the contract checked out by a qualified legal adviser.
There are some contracts that may assist in formalising, enacting or enabling of a Master/slave relationship which might, individually, be legal but they are not discussed here.
Slave contracts are sometimes negotiated for a specific period of time — such as one year but longer and shorter terms are possible — while others are lifetime contracts. Where the contract is in effect continuously, the relationship may be referred to as "24/7". The limits of the slave contract can vary widely and extend into various areas of BDSM and otherwise vanilla life.
Styles of contract
For those who feel that writing down the contractual obligations of the partners can help their power exchange relationship, there are three main ways to consider doing this that have worked for other people. There are other ways to do it of course but none that have proven themselves over a long period of time.
Single stage (simple) contract
Laying out the obligations and duties on both sides. This defines the balance of power exchange at the time and leaves open any decrease or increase in power exchange, though it might refer to an intent.
Time-controlled, or staged, contract
This defines the obligations and duties each will assume at certain points along their agreed path. Normally, the defined level of power exchange starts as a simple structured definition of the relationship at the time. The contract specifies the furthest level of power exchange the parties think they could ever be comfortable with and what the duties and obligations shall be at that time. In between are a number of stages, normally between two and four, with each step mapped out. The level of power exchange is normally increased over time, though I am aware of one where the final stage was a required dissolution of the relationship. The timing of when the contractual stages come into force are not usually in the contract. Instead, it is up to the submissive(s) to state to the dominant that they are ready for the next stage (thus giving consent) and for the dominant to then inform the submissive when the next stage will come into effect (thus retaining control).
Several contracts used in stages
Defining stages of power exchange over time. The series of staged contracts can be written out in a similar way to having a single, time-controlled contract but normally the final stage is not so well defined, if at all. Each time a contract is agreed, the NEXT contract is prepared, so that both parties not only know the level of power exchange they must meet now, at a minimum, but (as with the single time-controlled contract) understand the objective for the next stage and so will strive to meet it. Normally, only when the parties are happy they are actually living the contract for the next stage, will they both then adopt it, after discussion and drawing up a further contract or deciding that they have gone as far as they wish down the path of power exchange.
There are many sample contracts available on the Internet. There is probably not one of them that should be used as-is for a long-term, real-life relationship. When drawing up a personal contact, a couple might want to consider:
- Limits and expectations
- Any and all hard limits of both parties. The rights and expectations of both parties.
- The obligations to ensure, or improve, the health of oneself and of the partner.
- What safeguards are put in place for the slave, both during the relationship and upon demise of the relationship or of the owner. Are safewords relevant, if so what are they.
- To who or what, as well as when and how, is the slave to be available.
- Is the nature of the relationship to be discreet or open and obvious to the public, work colleagues, family etc.
- What provisions are made for any dependants, either existing or created.
- The nature and extent of control and the means (if restricted in any way) for the owner to enforce the control.
- Finance and property
- How pre-existing wealth, as well as income subsequent to the contract, are to be handled. What items a slave retains ownership of, if any. Considerations of trusts if the wealth is significant.
- Alterations to contract
- How will desired changes be handled. How might the contract be amicably terminated?
Example of a complicated contract
The following is an example of a very complicated (but specific) contract, taken from many different sources both from books and websites, shown here to aid in the creation of your own personalized contract. Obviously, negotiation of your own limits prior to creating this or any other contract should be done. See also external links.
1. I agree and accept willingly that, once I enter into the this Contract, I agree to please my Master to the best of my ability, and I understand and accept that I now exist solely for the pleasure of my Master, to be trained, disciplined and punished if and when my Master deems it necessary.
2. My Master has agreed to not inflict any physical harm upon my body that would require the attention of anyone outside of our relationship, and has thoughtfully agreed that no discipline, training or punishment shall take place if he has consumed any alcohol or any drug which would thus impair his ability to keep me from any physical or mental or emotional harm.
3. My Master and I understand and agree that I hold veto power over any command given by my Master, at which time I may rightfully refuse to obey that command, but only under these specific circumstances which my Master and I have agreed upon:
a. Where a command conflicts with any existing laws and may lead to fines, arrest, or prosecution.
b. Where said command may cause extreme damage to my life, such as losing my job, causing family stress, etc.
c. Where said command may cause permanent bodily harm.
d. Where said command may cause psychological trauma.
e. Where said command is issued in a public place that was not agreed upon beforehand, and reveals to anyone else our relationship.
f. Where said command is issued during a time that my Master has consumed any drug or alcohol, thus impairing his ability to keep me from harm.
4. I agree to accept any punishment, discipline or training regimen my master decides to inflict upon me, whether earned or not, whether physical or mental or emotional, without hesitation.
a. Drawing or release of blood.
b. Burning or mutilation of my body in any way.
c. Drastic loss of circulation.
d. Internal bleeding or complications.
e. Loss of consciousness, hearing, sight, smell, touch or taste.
f. Withholding of any necessary materials, such as food, water, sunlight and/or warmth, for extended periods of time.
g. Forcing the consumption of any illegal drug in any form at any time.
6. My Master and I have also agreed that because my body now belongs to my Master, he shall immediately undertake the responsibility of protecting my body not only from temporary harm as stated directly above, but also permanent bodily harm.
7. My Master and I have agreed beforehand that punishment, discipline and/or training shall not involve any of the following, hereby defined as "Permanent Bodily Harm":
b. Any damage that involves loss of mobility or function, including broken bones.
c. Any permanent marks on the skin, including scars, burns, or tattoos, unless accepted by the slave.
d. Any loss of hair, unless accepted by the slave.
e. Any piercing of the flesh which leaves a permanent hole, unless accepted by the slave.
f. Any diseases that could result in any of the above results, including sexually transmitted diseases.
8. My Master and I have also agreed that because my mind now belongs to my Master, he shall immediately undertake the responsibility of protecting my mind from permanent harm.
9. My Master and I have agreed beforehand that punishment, discipline, and/or training, shall not involve any of the following, hereby defined as "Permanent Mental Harm":
a. Formal brainwashing or hypnosis sessions, unless expressly agreed upon by the slave, and then only by a third party trained professional.
b. Electric shock to temples or any other mind altering application of force or energy.
c. Any mind altering drugs of any kind.
d. Sleep, food, sunlight or other forms of deprivation or neglect specifically designed to break down my mental capacity in any way.
10. I am aware that as a slave, I will be required to maintain a positive outlook and have correct thinking as such, and my Master may assist me with that in any way he sees fit.
11. My Master and I have agreed that at any time I may utilize a "Safe Word", and that whatever punishment, discipline, or training that is happening at that time shall immediately and without hesitation cease, and that time shall be called a "Safe Period", wherein the following rules shall apply:
a. During any Safe Period, my Master and I shall resolve any issues before continuing any punishment, discipline or training.
b. I cannot use a Safe Word for no reason, and must supply a specific reason each time.
c. No punishments, discipline or training will take place during a Safe Period and I shall be free to express my concerns, and speak freely without fear of harm or punishment.
d. I understand and willingly accept, however, that the I will continue to address my Master with respect and love at all times and that deviations from this rule are subject to punishment at a later time.
e. There is no limit to the amount of times during any given period the Safe Word may be utilized, and thusly, Safe Periods.
12. My Master and I have agreed that I may ask for a "Free Period" to express my concerns, to speak freely and without fear of harm or punishment. The following rules shall apply at all times:
a. These shall occur only once per day, and only if requested by Master or I.
b. They shall never last more than one hour, unless my Master wishes it to continue past that time.
c. They are not cumulative.
d. My Master has complete control over when these Free Periods shall take place, but has agreed that they shall take place on the same day that I request it.
e. There will be no punishment, discipline or training applied during Free Periods.
13. I understand and willingly accept, however, that I will continue to address my Master with respect and love at all times and that deviations from this rule are subject to punishment at a later time.
14. For clarification purposes only, the Safe Period is a time that I request to cease all actions immediately, and the Free Period is a time that I request that my Master schedules when he sees fit at some point at his discretion during that same day.
15. I accept and agree to not take any other Master or lover, or to be sexual or submissive to any other person, without the express and explicit direction and command of my Master, and I understand to do so would result in extreme punishment and possible termination of this contract.
16. My Master has agreed that he shall take no other slave, without considering my emotional response to such actions first, and acting accordingly.
17. My Master has agreed that he will not upset my emotional balance or ignore me over another slave at any time.
18. My Master and I have agreed that he shall never under any circumstances, give me to another master, for any reason whatsoever, unless the guidelines of this contract are wholeheartedly followed by that master at all times and without exception, and it will be my Master's sole responsibility to determine if this is the case, and I agree and will accept my Master's decision in all respects to this and trust his decisions unwaveringly, as my Master has agreed that a breach in contract of any other master would also be considered a breach in contract of my Master as well.
19. My Master and I have agreed that all physical evidence of my slavery to my Master shall be kept in strictest secrecy, except where my Master and I have agreed otherwise.
20. My Master and I have agreed that any alterations to this contract will be printed and signed and attached as addendum to this original contract before said addendum is enforced, and that it will not be necessary to include any edicts or commands or rules, etc, put forth by my Master into this contract.
21. I agree to give all of my worldly possessions to my Master, to give my physical body to my Master completely and without exception, and to pleasure my Master as he requests and as often as he requests.
22. I understand and accept willingly that my Master may punish me, command me, train me, and love me how my Master sees fit, at any time, any place, under any circumstance.
23. My Master and I have agreed that Private Rules of Conduct shall be created and posted in the house which we reside, in a private place not for display to the public or unannounced visitors, and that it will be my responsibility to always know any changes to any rules of conduct set forth and follow them explicitly and without exception, that my Master may change these rules of conduct at any time, without notice, and does not need to post them in order for me to follow them, and that these rules are to govern my actions within the confines of my Master's house.
24. My Master and I have agreed that publicly, we shall both conduct ourselves in such a manner as to not call attention to our Master and slave relationship, that I will defer to my Master at all times in public, and shall call him by his proper name when appropriate, and that my Master has agreed that only persons we have both agreed upon shall know about our relationship and/or contract.
25. Parties or gatherings specifically created for other Masters and slaves shall not be considered public places, our participation in such parties will be voluntary to both parties beforehand, during these gatherings I shall abide by all rules, edicts, and commands of my Master, just as if we were in private, with no exceptions.
26. If, during a party or gathering specifically created for other Masters and slaves, my Master wishes me to participate in any way, with another slave or Master, he has graciously agreed to discuss this with me beforehand and make such requests in these situations with my acceptance beforehand.
27. I agree and willingly accept my duties as slave.
28. I shall speak of my Master in terms of love, respect, and adoration at all times, I will address him at all times as "Sir" or "Master", or however else he sees fit, and I shall abide by all items set forth in this contract, as well as any future edicts, commands or orders to the best of my ability, and understand there may be adverse consequences should I not carry out my Master's requests or follow his rules to his satisfaction.
29. My Master has granted me the freedom to to engage in any and all activities not actively forbidden by this contract, or by later edict of my Master, and all rights and privileges not otherwise noted in this contract belong to my Master, and He may exercise them as He chooses.
30. My Master and I have agreed that no part of this contract is intended to interfere with my career, my Master wishes me to work hard and honestly, in general, and to conduct myself in a manner calculated to bring honor and respect to both of us.
31. My Master has graciously agreed, during periods of work, that I am permitted to schedule appointments, to dress in a manner appropriate to work, and to leave the house when necessary for work, and during periods of work, or if at home, I may answer the telephone, if necessary, and discuss business without the express permission of my Master.
32. My Master and I have agreed that for these reasons only do I have the right to terminate this contract immediately, and with no recourse to myself:
a. Abuse, as outlined above in section 5a-g, either intentional or accidental, or as a direct result from consuming alcohol or drugs.
b. Permanent bodily harm, either intentional or accidental, or as a direct result from consuming alcohol or drugs, as outlined above in section 7a-f.
c. Permanent mental harm, either intentional or accidental, or as a direct result from consuming alcohol or drugs, as outlined above in section 9a-d.
d. Breach of this contract by another Master, by charge of my Master, or as a direct result from consuming alcohol or drugs, as outlined above in section 18.
e. Exposed evidence of my slavery as outlined above in section 19.
f. Any addendums further agreed upon by my Master and I that are attached to this contract and signed by both parties will be considered as part of this contract as well.
33. Should any situations occur as outlined in section 32a-f, and I should still continue to want to uphold this contract in full, my Master and I shall put in writing what occurred as well as my decision to continue this contract, and that will be attached to this contract and signed by both of us, unless my Master wishes the contract ended at that time, because of said situation.
34. My Master and I have agreed that my Master may choose to end this contract at any time, and for any reason, without explanation.
35. This contract has no preset time limit and shall not end, except due to a specific reason noted in Section
36. I have read and fully understand this contract, and am entering into this contract under my own free will.
37. I have not been coerced in any way to enter into this contract.
38. By signing below, I agree to accept and obey all preceding rules without question, as well as any rules my Master may choose to issue at a later date, and I gratefully and willingly consign my body, mind, soul and worldly possessions to my Master, for His pleasure and use any way he sees fit.
I humbly request his acceptance of this contract in full.
Slave:__________________________ Date: __________
I have read and fully understand this contract in its entirety. I agree to accept this slave as my property, including her body, mind, soul, and worldly possessions, and to care for her to the best of my ability. I shall provide for her security and well-being and command her, train her, and punish her as a slave, soberly, and as I see fit. I understand the responsibility implicit in this arrangement, and agree that no harm shall ever come to her as long as she is mine, and this contract is in effect.
I accept My slave's desire to serve Me more fully, and take responsibility for her well-being, training, and discipline, to more perfectly serve My will.
Master:__________________________ Date: __________
I hereby witness this contract, that both parties have entered into such contract willingly and lovingly, and free of coercion or fear.
Witness:__________________________ Date: __________
Example of an Extremely Simple Contract
Where partners are very trusting of each other, or very experienced in BDSM a simplified contract may work better.
This contract between ___________, the slave, and __________, the Master is as follows:
1. Nothing that will permanently harm the slave shall ever exist, either physically, mentally or emotionally, from anything Master does within the lifestyle. 2. Neither partner will share other partners without consent. 3. slave will do everything Master says, without limits EXCEPT FOR scat, watersports, necrophilia, pedophilia, and anything illegal, so long as these first two rules are followed.
Once a slave contract has gone through its various drafts and is finally agreed upon, some celebrate the event with a "collaring ceremony", in which the local D/s community is invited to witness the commitment made in the document. Some ceremonies become quite elaborate, and can be as involved as a wedding or any similar ritual.
- Pair Arrested For Sex Slave Contract
- www.libertariannation.com Inalienable Rights and Moral Foundations
Other consensual slave contract examples
- Note: Never use any contract without thinking it through thoroughly.